Refereed Journal Publications
- Yang, L., V. Chinthapenta, Q. Li, D.A. Stout, A. Liang, B. Sheldon, and T.J. Webster."Understanding Osteoblast Responses on Stiff Nanotopographies through Experiments and Computational Simulation." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 97A, 2011.(PMID: 21523905)
- Stout, D.A., B. Basu, and T.J. Webster. "Poly Lactic-Co-Glycolic Acid: Carbon Nanofiber Composites for Myocardial Tissue Engineering Applications." Acta Biomaterialia, 7(1): 3101-3112, 2011. (PMID:21571106)
- Stout, D.A., and T.J. Webster. "Novel Nano Drug Systems for Cardiovascular Applications." Recent Patents on Biomedical Engineering, 5(1): 3-13, 2012.
- Stout, D.A., and T.J. Webster. "Carbon Nanotubes for Stem Cell Control."Materials Today, 15(7-8): 312-318, 2012.
- Meng X., D.A. Stout, L. Sun, H. Fenniri, and T.J. Webster. "Novel injectable biomimetic hydrogels with carbon nano fibers and self-assembled rosette nanotubes for myocardial applications." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 101(4):1095-102, 2012.(PMID:23008178)
- Stout, D.A., J. Yoo, A.N. Santiago-Miranda, and T.J. Webster. "Mechanisms of Greater Cardiomyocyte Functions on Conductive Nanoengineered Composites for Cardiovascular Applications." International Journal of Nanomedicine, 7(1): 5653-5669, 2012. (PMID:23180962)
- Stout, D.A., and T.J. Webster. "The Effect of Carbon Nanofiber Density in Poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) Composites for Myocardial Tissue Engineering Applications." Nano Bulletin, 1(1): 120102-1:120102-6, 2012.
- Sun L., D.A. Stout, and T.J. Webster. "The Nano-Effect: Improving the Long-Term Prognosis for Musculoskeletal Implants." Journal of Long Term Effects of Medical Implants, 22(3): 195-209, 2012. (PMID:23582111)
- Aninwene II G.E., D.A. Stout, Z. Yan, and T.J. Webster. "Nano-BaSO4: A Novel Antimicrobial Additive to Pellethane." International Journal of Nanomedicine, 8(1): 1197-1205, 2013. (PMID:23658486)
- Webster, T.J., D.A. Stout, S. Kalmodia, and B. Basu. "Experimental Methods and In Vitro Cytoxicity and Genotoxicity of Nanomaterials." Nano LIFE, 3(3): 1340-1361, 2013.
- Stout, D.A., E. Raimondo, G. Marostica, and T.J. Webster. "Growth characteristics of different heart cells on novel nano patch substrate during electrical stimulation." Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering, 3(3): 1340-1361, 2013. (PMID:25226907)
- Stout, D.A., "Recent Advancements in Carbon Nanofiber and Carbon Nanotube Applications in Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering." Current Pharmaceutical Design, 21(15): 20372044, 2015. (PMID:25732658)
- Stout, D.A., J. Toyjanova, and C. Franck. "Planar Gradient Diffusion System to Investigate Chemotaxis in a 3D Collagen Matrix." Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), Jun 12;(100):e52948, 2015. (PMID:26131645)
- Stout, D.A., E. Bar-Kochba, J.B. Estrada, J. Toyjanova, H. Kesari, J.S. Reichner, and C. Franck. “Mean deformation metrics for quantifying 3D cell-matrix interactions without requiring information about material properties." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2016): (PMID:201510935).
- Gagan, J., C. Fraze, and D.A. Stout. "Three-Dimensional Stem Cell Bioprinting." Cell Stem cells and Regenerative Medicine, 2(2): 2016. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/csrm.110
- Amezcua R., A. Shirolkar, C. Fraze, and D.A. Stout. "Nanomaterials for Cardiac Myocyte Tissue Engineering." Nanomaterials, 6(133): 2016. dio:10.3390/nano6070133
- Wei D., J. Jung, H. Yang, D.A. Stout, and L. Yang, ``Nanotechnology Treatment Options for Osteoporosis and Its Corresponding Consequences.'' Current Osteoporosis Reports, 14(5): 239-47, 2016. doi:10.1007/s11914-016-0324-1 (PMID:27542011)
- Vimbela G.V., S.M. Ngo, C. Fraze, L. Yang, and D.A. Stout, "Antibacterial properties and toxicity from metallic nanomaterials, International Journal of Nanomedicine, 2017:12 3941–3965. (PMID:28579779)
Recent Refereed Proceeding Publications
- Stout, D.A., and H.H. Chen. "Hawksat-1: Introducing 'COTS' CubeSat Satellite System Variable."Proceedings of the National Conference on Undergraduate Research. Asheville: University of North Carolina at Asheville, 9(1): 246-253, 2009.
- Yang, L., D.A. Stout, A. Liang, and T.J. Webster. "The Impact of Substrate Topography on Cell Filopodia Extension and Cell Spreading." in Business and Safety Issues in the Commercialization of Nanotechnology, edited by S.S. Mao, L. Merhari, J. van Schijndel, L. Tsakalakos, R. Hurt, H. Liu, T.J. Webster.Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc.,Volume 1209, Paper #1209-YY02-03, 2010.
- Stout, D.A., J. Yoo, and T.J. Webster. "Poly Lactic-Co-Glycolic Acid Carbon Nanofiber Composite for Enhancing Cardiomyocyte Function." in Nanofunctional Materials, Nanostructures, and Nanodevices for Biomedical Applications II, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp Proc.,Volume 1316, Paper #913663-QQ06-33, 2011.
- Stout, D.A., B. Basu, and T.J. Webster. "Cytocompatible Poly-Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid: Carbon Nanofiber Composite Analysis for Cardiovascular Applications." Northeast Bioengineering Conference, IEEE 2011, 978-1-61284-826-6, 2011.
- Stout, D.A., J. Yoo, and T.J. Webster. "Conductivity and Cardiomyocyte compatibility of Poly Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid Carbon Nanofiber Composites." 8th International Conference on Composite Materials Proceedings, Paper #F-26, 2011.
- Stout, D.A., E. Raimondo, and T.J. Webster. "Improved Cardiomyocyte Functions of Carbon Nanofiber Cardiac Patches," in Biomaterials for Tissue Regeneration,Mater. Res. Soc. Symp Proc.,Volume 1417E, Paper #KK036, 2012.
- Meng, X., D.A. Stout, L. Sun, H. Fenniri, and T.J. Webster. "Injectable Composites with Carbon Nanofibers and Helical Rosette Nanotubes for Myocardial Tissue Engineering." in Biomaterials for Tissue Regeneration,Mater. Res. Soc. Symp Proc., Volume 1417E, Paper #KK03.22, 2012.
- L. Weng, D.A. Stout, and T.J. Webster. "Nanophased Magnesium for Orthopedic Applications."Northeast Bioengineering Conference, IEEE 2012, 2012.
Recent Book Chapters
- Meng, X., Stout, D.A., Sun, L., Fenniri, H. and Webster, T. "Injectable Biomimetic Hydrogels with Carbon Nanofibers and Novel Self Assembled Chemistries for Myocardial Applications."in Biomaterials Science: Processing, Properties and Applications II: Ceramic Transactions, Volume 237, ed by R. Narayan, S. Bose and A. Bandyopadhyay, (Hoboken, NJ): John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012.
- Taylor, E., D.A. Stout, G. Aninwene II, and T.J. Webster. "In Vivo assessment of Nanotechnology in Biomaterials." in Nanomedicine: Principles and Perspectives,Volume1 & 2 ed Yi Ge (New York, NY): Springer, 2013.
- Stout, D.A., N.G. Drumus, and T.J. Webster. "Synthesis of Carbon based Nanomaterials for Tissue Engineering." in Nanomaterials in Tissue Engineering: Characterization, Fabrication and Applications ed by Gaharwar, Sant, Hancock, and Hancking (Cambridge, UK): Woodhead, 2013.
LBBL is funded by notable organizations, including the NIH, HSI, and the UROP at Cal State Long Beach.
"The CSULB BUILD Program offers intensive research training opportunities for undergraduate students interested in pursuing a career in health-related research."
Currently funds: Ajay Shirolkar, Gina Vimbela, Jennifer Ngo, Joshuah Gagan, and Edgar Cubillo.
"Title III, Part F, HSI STEM & Articulation Programs is a $4.4 million grant awarded to California State University, Long Beach by the U.S. Department of Education to expand and enhance educational opportunities for, and to improve the academic attainment of, Hispanic students."
Currently funds: Rodolfo Amezcua
"The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program is a one-year program that offers first and second year students the chance to participate in the research and creative process with faculty."
Currently funds: Vanessa Soto, Alejandra Juarez, and Jake Fallon
"Innovating novel ideas to conduct research and bring it into the classroom."
Equipment funding for Teaching, Research, and Lab